Currently, we build the native code using ant-build invocations. Although this works, it has some limitations:
- compiler warning messages are hidden, which can cause people to check in code with warnings unintentionally
- there is no framework for running native unit tests; instead, we use ad-hoc constructs involving shell scripts
- the antrun code is very platform specific
- there is no way to run a specific native unit test
- it's more or less impossible for scripts like test-patch.sh to separate a native test failing from the build itself failing (no files are created) or to enumerate which native tests failed.
Using a native Maven plugin would overcome these limitations.