One of Apache SIS goals is to comply with the ISO (International Standards Organization) specifications. Compliance to international standards not only increase inter-operability between products, but is also a legal requirement for government agencies in the European Union since the INSPIRE directive from the European Commission.
Apache SIS currently implements the ISO 19115 (Geographic information - Metadata) standard, as published in 2003, completed by ISO 19115-2 published in 2009. The ISO organization updates their standards once every 10 years. The new ISO 19115 revision has been published in 2014 and is available there:
We need to update Apache SIS to make it compliant with the new ISO 19115 standards. Because Apache SIS implements the GeoAPI interfaces defined by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), this task will need to be done in cooperation with the OGC GeoAPI working group. More specifically, the tasks will be (not necessarily in that order - many tasks are expected to be done in parallel):
- On the OGC GeoAPI side (GEO-232):
- Get legal copies of the new ISO 19115-1, -2, -3 and -4 standards (to be provided by mentors).
- Review all classes, interfaces, fields and methods defined in the org.opengis.metadata.* packages and compare them with the new definitions provided in ISO 19115-1 and -2.
- For every new elements added in ISO 19115-1/2, add the corresponding elements in the Java interfaces.
- For every elements removed from ISO 19115-1/2, deprecate the corresponding elements in the Java interfaces.
- Fix any discrepancies or errors which may be found on a case-by-case basis, to be discussed on the GeoAPI mailing list.
- Make sure that all elements have an up-to-date and accurate Javadoc.
- Update the GeoAPI specification with mentor help.
- Write test cases in the geoapi-conformance module.
- On the Apache SIS side:
- For all changes done in GeoAPI interface, reflect the changes in the Apache SIS implementation in the org.apache.sis.metadata.iso.* packages.
- Add JAXB adapters for the new elements, or fix JAXB adapters for existing elements, in order to marshal/unmarshall XML documents compliant with the new standards as defined in ISO 19115-3 and -4.
- Check for any additional requirements defined by the INSPIRE directive.
- Ensure that Apache SIS passes the tests defined in GeoAPI.
- In collaboration with specialists, write some use cases and demos using the new metadata objects.
Peoples who can help for this task are:
- Contributor of the Apache SIS metadata module and GeoAPI chairman (mentor).
- Authors of the MD-Web project and peoples working in remote-sensing (for more metadata advice).
- Member of the OGC Architecture Board for help with OGC procedure.
- Some authors who contributed to the ISO 19115 revision.