We needs an implementation of JSR-363 to be used as a replacement of JSR-275. This is needed since the JSR-275 specification attempt has been rejected. Some existing implementations exist, especially the UOMo and JScience projects, but we also have some legacy classes that we could refactor. A possible advantage of the later approach is that we have to support some rather particular Unit, like the one used in NetCDF files (e.g. "degrees_east"), which may be easier in a custom implementation.
Some useful links:
- http://www.unitsofmeasurement.org/apidocs/index.html - the interfaces that we would have to implement.
- http://www.qudt.org/ - Quantities, Units, Dimensions and Data Types in OWL and XML (ontology).
- https://code.google.com/p/unit-ontology/ - apparently the same than above.
- http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=11498 - OGC Best Practice for specifying UoM in an OGC standard.
- https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/xmml/OGC/trunk/ExampleInstances/dictionaries/units.xml - a dictionary of unit symbols related to OGC standards.
- http://unitsofmeasure.org/trac/ - UCUM, a text format for units.
- https://github.com/keilw/mco - A Java script project derived from JSR-275.
- http://wiki.eclipse.org/Science_IWG - Open Source Initiative for Scientific Development Tools.
- http://jscience.org/ - JScience, one of available implementations.
- http://www.eclipse.org/uomo/ - an other implementation.