I found serious problems with datanucleus code when using JDK7, resulting in some sort of exception being thrown when datanucleus code is entered.
I tried source=1.7, target=1.7 with JDK7 as well as source=1.6, target=1.6 with JDK7 and there was no visible difference in that the same unit tests failed.
I tried upgrading datanucleus to 3.0.1, as per
HIVE-2084.patch, which did not fix the failing tests.
I tried upgrading datanucleus to 3.1-release, as per the advise of http://www.datanucleus.org/servlet/jira/browse/NUCENHANCER-86, which suggests using ASMv4 will allow datanucleus to work with JDK7. I was not successful with this either.
I tried upgrading datanucleus to 3.1.2. I was not successful with this either.
Regarding datanucleus support for JDK7+, there is the following JIRA
which suggests that they don't plan to actively support JDK7+ bytecode any time soon.
I also tested the following JVM parameters found on
with no success either.
This will become a more serious problem as people move to newer JVMs. If there are other who have solved this issue, please post how this was done. Otherwise, it is a topic that I would like to raise for discussion.
CLEAR LIBRARY CACHE