Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Tumblr uses puppet for configuration management, I believe Y! will soon use Chef.
Issue is that when Traffic Server reads its configuration files it changes white space and adds additional entries. The next time puppet runs it sees the files have changed, restores the copies from the repository, and sends a reload signal. Trafficserver then modifies the files again and the cycle repeats.
To break the cycle I am requesting:
1) That Traffic Server does not modify its configuration files unless explicitly told to via the traffic_line command.
2) That it only updates the entry it was instructed to change
3) That it does not modify the white space of any other entry
4) That it does not add or remove any additional entries to/from the file
Not required, but more of a nic-pick:
5) If traffic server has preferred whitespace then default configuration files that ship with the product should conform (i.e. first invocation shouldn't cause the files to change), its odd that we ship files that don't conform to our own preferences/standards.
6) If we intend to exhaustively listing every traffic server option and its default value in the default records.conf that ships with traffic server, we should audit pre-release and make sure that is up to date and grouped logically instead of trying to append entries on first invocation. If we don't want to do that work then maybe ship a minimal records.conf with a few example entires and a link to the documentation.