I have created a simple JConsole plugin that will enable a OpenJPA user to view DataCache statistics and it also allows for some runtime interactions with the cache. These changes are going to come in two parts. The first part will be the plugin side of changes and second part is going to come via another JIRA which will feature the OpenJPA core runtime changes.
The features that I have currently implemented are:
- A view of cache hits, reads, and writes.
- A button to evict the entire contents of the cache.
- A button to reset the statistics.
- A check box to enable / disable statistics gathering
- The ability to disable / enable caching specific types.
I would like to add the following features:
- Show the current DataCache configuration and show what (if any) changes have been made at runtime (ie: Stopped caching a certain type).
- Allow changing the cache size.
- Evict only a certain type.
- Make some cute bar charts for hit/miss ratio.
This works both in a JSE environment and in a WebSphere environment(sans security). I'll add more details on how to run jconsole with the plugin once I have some code committed.