I documented Beeline's command line options in the HiveServer2 Clients doc:
This needs careful review and revision! My sources were BeeLine.properties, BeeLineOpts.java, the SQLLine doc, some Hive JIRAS, a bit of Java documentation, and common sense.
1. Does the query string for -e take single quotes or double quotes?
2. Is the autoCommit default false as shown in BeeLineOpts.java or true as shown in the SQLLine doc?
3. What are the possible values & default value for isolation?
4. What is the default for numberFormat? BeeLineOpts.java says "default" but I don't know what that means.
5. Is the description of the default for maxWidth okay? (Modified from SQLLine doc.)
6. Does showNestedErrs have a JIRA ticket? (It isn't in the SQLLine doc.)
7. Should any of these options be documented?
- --incremental (in BeeLineOpts & SQLLine doc, but not in BeeLine.properties)
- --showElapsedTime (in BeeLineOpts, not in BeeLine.properties nor SQLLine doc)
- --maxHeight (ditto)
- --timeout (ditto)
- --trimScripts (ditto)
- --allowMultiLineCommand (ditto)
Please fix the doc or tell me what to fix.