Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Many customers want to be able to insert, update and delete rows from Hive tables with full ACID support. The use cases are varied, but the form of the queries that should be supported are:
- INSERT INTO tbl SELECT …
- INSERT INTO tbl VALUES ...
- UPDATE tbl SET … WHERE …
- DELETE FROM tbl WHERE …
- MERGE INTO tbl USING src ON … WHEN MATCHED THEN ... WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN ...
- SET TRANSACTION LEVEL …
- BEGIN/END TRANSACTION
- Once an hour, a set of inserts and updates (up to 500k rows) for various dimension tables (eg. customer, inventory, stores) needs to be processed. The dimension tables have primary keys and are typically bucketed and sorted on those keys.
- Once a day a small set (up to 100k rows) of records need to be deleted for regulatory compliance.
- Once an hour a log of transactions is exported from a RDBS and the fact tables need to be updated (up to 1m rows) to reflect the new data. The transactions are a combination of inserts, updates, and deletes. The table is partitioned and bucketed.
|Transaction manager for Hive||Resolved|
|2.||Define API for RecordUpdater and UpdateReader||Patch Available|
|3.||Integrate HCatalog with locking||Open|
|4.||Insert, update, delete functionality needs a compactor||Open|
|5.||Need new "show" functionality for transactions||Patch Available|
|6.||Need to write documentation for ACID work||Open|
|7.||Streaming support in Hive||Open|