Type: New Feature
Status: In Progress
Affects Version/s: 3.0.0-alpha-1
Fix Version/s: None
- HBase 1.x (branch-1)
- Declare HTrace (htrace 3.x) deprecated in the user doc.
- HBase 2.x (branch-2)
- Declare HTrace deprecated in the user doc. Furthermore, state that it is known not working.
- Either fix the trace context propagation bug in HBase 2.x, or backport OpenTracing support from the master branch. I am inclined to the latter.
- HBase 3.x (master branch)
- Remove HTrace entirely.
- Add OpenTracing APIs. Potentially backport to HBase 2.4.
- Replace OpenTracing API with OpenTelemetry when the latter stabilizes.
- Doc – deprecation notice
- Replace existing HTrace code with OpenTracing code in the master branch (3.x)
- Java (a poc is currently under way)
- HBase shell and scripts (Ruby, shell script)
- Add new trace instrumentation code for new features not instrumented by the existing HTace code.
- Propagate the traces to other systems such as HDFS and MapReduce.
- Support other OpenTracing tracers.