The planned structure for the new Getting Started Guide is
- Flink Overview (~ two pages)
- Project Setup
- Example Walkthrough - Table API / SQL
- Example Walkthrough - DataStream API
- Docker Playgrounds
- Flink Cluster Playground
- Flink Interactive SQL Playground
In this ticket we add the Flink Cluster Playground, a docker-compose based setup consisting of Apache Kafka and Apache Flink (Flink Session Cluster), including a step-by-step guide for some common commands (job submission, savepoints, etc).
Some Open Questions:
- Which Flink images to use? `library/flink` with dynamic properties would be the most maintainable, I think. It would be preferable, if we don't need to host any custom images for this, but can rely on the existing plain Flink images.
- Which Flink jobs to use? An updated version org.apache.flink.streaming.examples.statemachine.StateMachineExample might be a good option as it can with or without Kafka and contains a data generator writing to Kafka already (see next questions).
- How to get data into Kafka? Maybe just provide a small bash script/one-liner to produce into Kafka topic or see question above.
- Which Kafka Images to use? https://hub.docker.com/r/wurstmeister/kafka/ seems to be well-maintained and is openly available.