If a widget consumes a REST service then everything works fine until the same browser logs into the Wookie admin service. After this calling the REST API results in a login challenge. This is 100% reproduceable as follows
- you need a fresh browser on which you have not logged into the admin console
- deploy the template test widgets: cd widgets/templates; ant generate-test-widgets
- visit the "Browse Test Widget"
- everything should work fine
Reproduce the problem:
- log into the wookie admin interface
- visit the Browse Test Widget
- you will be asked to login
The weather widget (which also makes a proxied request) works fine. I can only assume that this indicates a difference in the interaction styles. The weather widget simply consumes an RSS feed, the twitter widgets consume a REST service.