Currently, the indexing project for VXQuery is able to perform two tasks:
1) Create a Lucene index from an XML collection (folder).
2) Specify in a query to use this index to perform the query.
There are several more desired capabilities to fully integrate Lucene indexing:
1) Allow updates to collection indexes (when Adding/Deleting/Modifying XML files).
2) Extend indexing to HDFS folders.
3) Benchmark the difference between index and non-index plans.
4) Enable queries to dynamically decide at runtime when to use indexes.