UIMA
  1. UIMA
  2. UIMA-1817

xml namespace handling in XmiCasDocSerializer / NPE with Saxon in classpath

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Major Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 2.3
    • Fix Version/s: 2.3.1SDK
    • Component/s: Core Java Framework
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:

      Java 1.6.0_20, Saxon9 jars on the classpath

      Description

      While experimenting with UIMA I observed a problem similar to the one already posted here: http://tinyurl.com/32spzv9. Since removing Saxon from the classpath was not an option, I found the problem to be the way namespaces are handled in org.apache.uima.cas.impl.XmiCasSerializer$XmiCasDocSerializer.

      First of all, the addAttribute/3 method was incorrectly passing null as uri and localName parameters. According to the javadoc, these must at least be empty strings. I added a hack to extract the localName from the qName, if available.

      Second, the method computeNamespaceDeclarationAttrs/1 only added namespaces as attributes, which are not honored by Saxon. I think this is correct, as the SAX2 standard states that namespaces must be declared via startPrefixMapping/2, so I added that, as well.

      Attached you find a patch with changes which work for me (and seem to solve the problem).

        Activity

        Hide
        Martin Schaffoener added a comment -

        Patch with changes which solve the problems observed with Saxon9 on the classpath.

        Show
        Martin Schaffoener added a comment - Patch with changes which solve the problems observed with Saxon9 on the classpath.
        Hide
        Adam Lally added a comment -

        Thanks for the patch. I applied it along with one additional modification: I added code after the final endElement call that calls endPrefixMapping corresponding to each startPrefixMapping. Although unlikely to matter, this seemed like the clean thing to do.

        Also I changed a few other classes where null was being passed instead of empty string for a namespace uri, such as in descriptor serialization.

        It would be great if you can verify that the trunk version now works for you.

        Show
        Adam Lally added a comment - Thanks for the patch. I applied it along with one additional modification: I added code after the final endElement call that calls endPrefixMapping corresponding to each startPrefixMapping. Although unlikely to matter, this seemed like the clean thing to do. Also I changed a few other classes where null was being passed instead of empty string for a namespace uri, such as in descriptor serialization. It would be great if you can verify that the trunk version now works for you.

          People

          • Assignee:
            Adam Lally
            Reporter:
            Martin Schaffoener
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Development