I am not able to reproduce this issue; here it follows what I did.
1. "mvn -P all clean install" on branch 1_0_X sources - this because the hotel connection isn't particularly good, but I don't think is relevant
2. "mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.syncope -DarchetypeArtifactId=syncope-archetype -DarchetypeRepository=file:///home/ilgrosso/.m2/repository -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.4-incubating-SNAPSHOT" - for creating a sample project
3. added MySQL JDBC connector in core/pom.xml:
4. replaced core/src/main/resources/persistence.properties with 
5. changed port from 9080 to 8080 in console/src/main/resources/configuration.properties
6. "mvn clean package"
7. deployed core/target/syncope.war and console/target/syncope-console.war to Tomcat
8. started Tomcat, logged in to admin console, then created a connector (CSV), a resource and a synchronization task (with schedule).
I've also repeated all the steps above using PostgreSQL; same results.
Colm, could you please try to create a fresh environment like in the above steps? I suspect it might be something relating to upgrading from one version to another.