No worries that error was caused by me. Still learning Scala. It was the difference between using a lazy val and a var.
I have all three test cases working now and I will do one last review before submitting it tomorrow.
Now there is also one more odd thing going on that I haven't figured out yet. Sometime (seeming randomly) my tests will fail with the following exception:
[info] - flume input stream *** FAILED *** (10 seconds, 332 milliseconds)
[info] 0 did not equal 1 (FlumeStreamSuite.scala:104)
Then I will rerun the test with no code changes and they will success. It feels very much like a race condition. Note I found this so odd that I did a fresh git clone and tested the latest branch and I also was able to get the exception.
I will look into this tomorrow. I would assume at this point that something is odd in my environment until I find evidence of it being anything else.
Thank you again for the help.