Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Solr should be a standalone application, where the main method is provided by Solr source code.
Here are the major tasks I envision, if we choose to embed Jetty:
- Create org.apache.solr.start.Main (and possibly other classes in the same package), to be placed in solr-start.jar. The Main class will contain the main method that starts the embedded Jetty and Solr. I do not know how to adjust the build system to do this successfully.
- Handle central configurations in code – TCP port, SSL, and things like web.xml.
- For each of these steps, clean up any test fallout.
- Handle cloud-related configurations in code – port, hostname, protocol, etc. Use the same information as the central configurations.
- Consider whether things like authentication need changes.
- Handle any remaining container configurations.
I am currently imagining this work happening in a new branch and ultimately being applied only to master, not the stable branch.
|Standalone solr as *two* applications -- Solr and a controlling agent||Open||Unassigned|