Is this really unresolved at this point? Assuming so, I'll make the comments here but perhaps we should open a new JIRA instead.
On a trunk build with the stock Solr example I see
I changed the df param in my /select requestHandler to:
Then when I just issue ....collection1/select?q=whatever it parses to q=text:whatever rather than q=name:whatever, which is quite surprising.
Is this the intended behavior? Or should defaults in the requestHandler override the initParams?
Either way we need to do something. Either it's a bug in the current implementation and the defaults section of the individual handler should override the initParams or we should remove the defaults from all the request handlers in the sample solrconfig.xml. The current behavior is disconcerting to someone who hasn't followed this JIRA closely, i.e. almost all of our users.
If we remove the defaults section from the request handlers in solrconfig.xml, I think it would be best to make an explicit reference to initParams, we need to give users some clue what's going on here. This assumes that the notion of being able to call out initParams by ID didn't fall by the wayside.
But this will make the vexing problem with, say, people who remove the "text" field from schema.xml and then can't load cores soooo much easier to fix. Rather than finding all the places that the text field is referenced in solrconfig.xml and change them to something that is in the schema, there'll be just one place to change......
I've attached a test case for the trunk illustrating. I labeled it totally-crappy because it should NOT be used verbatim, it's a miserable hack to illustrate. I changed solrconfig-minimal.xml and schema-tiny.xml and have NOT re-run all tests with those changes and I fully expect those changes will break something.