The issue was first noticed on an instance of Solr 8.5.0, after securing Solr with security.json.
Searching on a single collection returns the expected results, but searching on an alias returns HTTP 401.
Note that this issue is not reproduced when the collections are created using the _default configuration.
Update: Fast-forward to this comment for the reason why: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14569?focusedCommentId=17136195&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-17136195
The attached patch includes a unit test to query on an alias. Fixed and updated as per gerlowskija' comments
Patch applies on master branch (9x).
The unit test is added to the test class that was originally part of the patch to fix
Update: Unit tests fail if sharHandlerFactory is added to the requestHandler in configset cloud-minimal
I also attach:
- our product-specific Solr configuration, modified to remove irrelevant plugins and fields
- security.json with user 'admin' (pwd 'admin')
- Note that forwardCredentials true or false does not modify the behavior
To test with attached configuration solr_conf.zip or updated_solr_conf.zip:
- Download and unzip Solr 8.5.0
- Modify ./bin/solr.in.sh :
- ZK_HOST (optional)
- Upload security.json into Zookeeper
- ./bin/solr zk cp file:/path/to/security.json zk:/path/to/solr/security.json [-z <zk_host>:<zk_port>[/<solr>]]
- Start Solr in cloud mode
- ./bin/solr -c
- Upload the provided configuration
- ./bin/solr zk upconfig -z <zk_host>:<zk_port>[/<solr>] -n conf_en -d /path/to/folder/conf/
- Create 2 collections using the uploaded configuration
- test1, test2
- Create an alias grouping the 2 collections
- test = test1, test2
- Query (/select?q=:) one collection
- results in successful Solr response
- Query the alias (/select?q=:)
- results in HTTP 401
There is no need to add documents to observe the issue.