Great feedback, thanks!
Yi Pan (Data Infrastructure)
1. You're right, the design doc wasn't clear on this. In fact, the REST service is mostly geared toward the "Samza-as-a-service" model, which is more likely to focus on a hosted service rather than standalone. I clarified that the real use case is to have a common API regardless of the underlying cluster implementation, so as to enable generic tools, dashboards, etc.
2. Great suggestions. Added them.
3. That's right. I suppose I mentioned it in case any "rebels" decided to use an older version. But if that happens, they may also encounter other problems due to the YARN version. It has been removed.
4. I was worried these would make it too verbose, but it's not too bad. See version 2 of the design doc.
5. Yes. Actually the doc was conflating the "central hosts" and RM hosts. In the event that they're separate hosts, the Installation Finder can be adapted to discover jobs wherever they are stored.
6. Good point. The "Packaging" wiki only calls out that the configuration is NOT part of the job package. I'll update the design doc to describe the default assumption and that the InstallationFinder can be used to adapt to any deviation.
Xinyu Liu, thanks, I totally missed that!