I've got 1.2M single-page PDF files which I'm indexing using Solr (which is using Tika, which is using PDFBox) and some of them takes between 20min up to an hour to index.
This is a huge problem for me, in 48hours I've indexed about 45k files and 19 hours of that time was spent on just 279 files.
I've traced it to PDFBox taking a lot of time extracting the text from the documents.
I've tested extracting the text using pdfbox-app's ExtractText with the same result, the text is extracted but it takes forever...
The attached file took about 23min (using ExtractText) and from the result I can see a lot of "rubbish text" which I don't see in the text extracted from files that takes a normal amount of time (up to a few seconds per file) to parse.
When running truss (on Solaris, strace on Linux) on the java-process, I can see a lot of SEGV due to FLTBOUNDS, which I don't know if its related to this problem but I just want to mention it.