The startup sequence in OFBiz is highly complex and requires improvements on multiple levels including:
- The entire classpath buildup logic and org.apache.ofbiz.base.start.Classpath needs to be removed. The original idea of classpath isolation between the components created many more problems than it solved, and right now the classpath construction is the responsibility of the build system.
- The custom classloader needs to be removed as well together with the classpath mentioned above.
- The StartupLoader interface should remove the start() method and just have two methods, load and unload.
- The startup sequence should have only one StartupLoader, not an array of startup loaders. This StartupLoader (implemented as ContainerLoader) is the only class responsible for bootstrapping OFBiz
- The ContainerLoader needs to be completely refactored, not only to remove the start() method but also to cleanup the very messy logic currently residing there.