About the "old" NetBeans "cnd.antlr" module:
- The module "cnd.antlr" in NetBeans <=8.2 was a fork of Antlr v2.7.7 https://github.com/emilianbold/netbeans-releases/tree/master/cnd.antlr/src/org/netbeans/modules/cnd/antlr
- This module contains both a compiler (org.netbeans.cnd.antlr.Tool) and a modified Antlr runtime.
- The sources for this module were not donated by Oracle to the ASF.
- As a substitute a new module "cnd/libs.antlr.cnd" was proposed in the 4th donation or Oracle to the ASF, containing a link to the previous module https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/308b080ac972e8cdea16c97d1e16c2156cb6bf59/cnd/libs.antlr.cnd/nbproject/project.properties#L23
- Recreating a fork of Antlr v2.7.7 sources is not possible under the ASF umbrella, because these sources have not a clean origin not a proper license, as recognized by the author in the release notes of Antlr v3.4 here https://theantlrguy.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ANTLR3/pages/2687376/ANTLR+3.4+Release+Notes
- The "cnd.antlr" runtime is being used in the following cnd modules: cnd.apt (a lexer), cnd.asm (assembler support), cnd.kit (editor kit), cnd.modelimpl (C/C++ Model Implementation), cnd.model.jclank.bridge (a bridge for cnd.modelimpl to jclank)
As a consecuence of all these findings we arrive to the following conclusions:
- It's unclear if the "cnd.antlr" in NetBeans 8.2 (= "libs.antlr.cnd" in the 4th donation) is covered by the CDDL license or not (because Antlr v2.7.7 sources have unclear origin).
- As a consequence, Apache NetBeans cannot depend on these binaries.
- A replacement to "libs.antlr.cnd" is required.
- All dependencies with "libs.antlr.cnd" (compiler and runtime) have to be reviewed.