myfaces-commons-resourcehandler module includes an "AdvancedResourceHandler" with these objectives:
- relative paths between resources (css files referencing images without using #resource['..'])
- caching resources in the client (disabled if ProjectStage == Development)
- GZIP compression and local cache in tmp dir (disabled if ProjectStage == Development)
- i18n (supporting country code and language).
This requires more discussion and work to create a full solution. In order to create a enhanced implementation, I have a proposal on this issue:
- Replace AdvancedResourceHandler with ExtendedResourceHandler, which is a more descriptive name,
- Use the same pattern from myfaces shared, because it is well tested.
- Use a SAXParser to load files, since the proposed solution is java 1.6 specific, and compatibility with jdk 1.5 is required.
I'll commit the proposal, but keep the previous code so we can discuss over there.