Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: 3.0
As discussed on the mailing list, it is proposed to add two methods to the FieldElement interface
- negate() : returns the additive inverse of this element.
- reciprocal() : returns the multiplicative inverse of this element.
Several name couples have been proposed by Phil
- negate, invert
- opposite, reciprocal
- additiveInverse, multiplicativeInverse
Looking at the classes implementing this interface in the core CM library, we find that
- Complex, Dfp, BigFraction and Fraction already have a negate() method.
- Besides, BigFraction and Fraction already have a reciprocal() method.
So the best naming option would seem to be (for the time being) a mixture of what Phil proposed. I realize it's not completely satisfactory because one is a noun and one a verb. Do we want to have good grammar, or preserve what's already implemented? I tend to favour the first option (consistently change the name of existing methods).