Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: 0.20.204.0
From Luke Lu:
Here is a summary of why the failed map task was considered "successful" (Thanks to Mahadev, Arun and Devaraj
for insightful discussions).
1. The map task was hanging BEFORE being initialized (probably in localization, but it doesn't matter in this case).
Its state is UNASSIGNED.
2. The jt decided to kill it due to timeout and scheduled a cleanup task on the same node.
3. The cleanup task has the same attempt id (by design.) but runs in a different JVM. Its initial state is
4. The JVM of the original attempt is getting killed, while proceeding to setupWorkDir and throwed an
IllegalStateException while FileSystem.getLocal, which causes taskFinal.taskCleanup being called in Child, and
triggered the NPE due to the task is not yet initialized (committer is null). Before the NPE, however it sent a
statusUpdate to TT, and in tip.reportProgress, changed the task state (currently FAILED_UNCLEAN) to UNASSIGNED.
5. The cleanup attempt succeeded and report done to TT. In tip.reportDone, the isCleanup() check returned false due to
the UNASSIGNED state and set the task state as SUCCEEDED.
|Status||Resolved [ 5 ]||Closed [ 6 ]|
|Status||Open [ 1 ]||Resolved [ 5 ]|
|Resolution||Fixed [ 1 ]|
|Field||Original Value||New Value|
|Fix Version/s||0.20.204.0 [ 12316318 ]|
|Fix Version/s||0.20.203.0 [ 12316151 ]|