A student with a good proposal
- should be free to work for Mahout in the summer and should be thrilled to work in this area
- should be able to program in Java and be comfortable with datastructures and algorithms
- must be clear about the clustering algorithm, how it works, its strengths, its weaknesses and possible tweaks.
- must have a plan on making it a map/reduce implementation
- should have a demo over standard datasets by the end of summer of code
- must have clear deadlines and pace it evenly across the span of 3 months.
- may have a background in these area. Past work, thesis etc counts, so show it in the proposal clearly
If you can do something extra it counts, but make sure the plan is reasonable within the specified time frame.