Grant - Great start =)
Below is some initial feedback (happy to help further if you want to chat in real-time)
Quickly Groking - To make it easier to quickly comprehend, the cells that are to be updated in the spreadsheet should be color coded (as opposed to those that are calculated)
Bytes or Entries - You list Max Size for filterCache, queryResultCache, and documentCache as 512 which subtle implies the size is based on bytes when the units of the cache are actually the number of entries. I would clarify the unit of measure (I've seen numerous blogs and emails confuse this).
Approach to Cache Sizing - Given memory requirements are heavily contingent on caching I would suggest including at least one approach for how to determine cache size
- Query Result Cache
- Estimation: should be greater than 'number of commonly reoccurring unique queries' x 'number of sort parameters' x 'number of possible sort orders'
- Document Cache
- Estimation: should be greater than 'maximum number of documents per query' x 'maximum number of concurrent queries'
- Filter Cache
- Estimation: should be number of unique filter queries (should clarify what constitutes 'unique')
- Field Value Cache
- Custom Caches
- Estimation: should be ? - A common use case?
Faceting - Surprised there is no reference to use of faceting which is both increasingly common default query functionality and further increases memory requirements for effective use
Obscure Metrics - To really give this spreadsheet some teeth, there really should be pointers for at least one approach on how to estimate each input metric (could be on another tab).
- Some are fairly easy:
- Number of Unique Terms / field
- Number of documents
- Number of indexed fields (no norms)
- Number of fields w/ norms
- Number of non-String Sort Fields other than score
- Number of String Sort Fields
- Number of deleted docs on avg
- Avg. number of terms per query
- Some are quite obscure (and guidance on how to estimate is essential):
- Numberof RAM-based Column Stride Fields (DocValues)
- Transient Factor (MB)
- fieldValueCache Max Size
- Custom Cache Size (MB)
- Avg. Number of Bytes per Term
- Field Cache bits/term
- Cache Key Avg. Size (Bytes)
- Avg QueryResultKey size (in bytes)