*Reader lifecycle evolved over time to become some heavily tangled mess. It's hard to understand what's going on there, it's even harder to add some fields/logic while ensuring that all possible code paths preserve these fields/interact with the logic properly. While some of said mess is justified by the task at hand, a big part is just badly done copypaste and can be removed.
I am currently refactoring this and intended to open an issue with a working patch, but the task winded up somewhat bigger than I expected, so I'm opening it earlier to track stuff encountered/changed/fixed.
The list is by no means exhaustive.
- an iteration to create SRs is copypasted several times, one of them (IW) with wrong iteration bound
- it is also overly complex and can be folded for create/reopen cases
- readers sent to IndexReaderWarmer are termindexless/docstoreless on some occasions
- it is possible to clone() your way to readwrite NRT reader
- IndexDeletionPolicy is not always preserved through clones/reopens
- cloned readers share CoreReaders and, consequently, updated termsIndex/docStores
- threadlocal versions of fieldsReader/termsVector are bound to SR, not CoreReaders and thus are recreated on clone/reopen
- double-initialization for some fields (someone got lost and did this to be sure I guess), stupid assert checks ( qwe = new(); assert qwe != null )
- SR is not always recreated when compound status of underlying segment changes
- deleting already deleted doc marks deletions dirty and rewrites them
- lots of synchronization is done around Reader, while it can be narrowed down to norms/deletions/whatever
I did some structural modifications:
- CompositeReader extracts common code from DirectoryReader and MultiReader (complete)
- ReadonlyDirectoryReader and ReadonlySegmentReader are dead, MutableD/SReaders are introduced and carry all modification logic/fields (DR complete, SR in progress)
- WriterBackedReader encapsulates NRT reader logic (complete)
- CoreReaders split into CoreReaders, DocStores, TermInfos. All of these are immutable and SR is cloned when you need to change its mode (in progress)
- relates to
LUCENE-2802 DirectoryReader ignores NRT SegmentInfos in #isOptimized()