Gary suggested using org.apache.commons.compress.compressors.CompressorStreamFactory to create a more generic solution that lets log4j users choose from all the compression formats supported by Commons Compress.
- Rollover compression to .zip and .gz formats should work without error if the commons-compress jar is not in the classpath.
- XZ requires XZ for Java.
- The following documentation needs to be updated:
- DefaultRolloverStrategy section on the Appenders manual page
- Runtime dependencies page
- Core index page (again for the dependency)
The additional formats are:
BZip2 is already supported through Apache Commons Compress and