We recently upgraded our brokers in our production environments from 0.10.1.1 to 0.10.2.1 and we've noticed a sizable regression in the on-disk .log file size. For some deployments the increase was as much as 50%.
We run our brokers with the 0.8.2 log message format version. The majority of our message volume comes from 0.10.x Java clients sending messages encoded with the Snappy codec.
Some initial testing only shows a regression between the two versions when using Snappy compression with a log message format of 0.8.2.
I also tested 0.10.x log message formats as well as Gzip compression. The log sizes do not differ in this case, so the issue seems confined to 0.8.2 message format and Snappy compression.
A git-bisect lead me to this commit, which modified the server-side implementation of `Record`:
Here's the PR, which has more context:
Here is a link to the test I used to re-producer this issue: