Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: 0.9.0.0
Summary of why we should drop Scala 2.9:
- Doubles the number of builds required from 2 to 4 (2.9.1 and 2.9.2 are not binary compatible).
- Code has been committed to trunk that doesn't build with Scala 2.9 weeks ago and no-one seems to have noticed or cared (well, I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2325). Can we really support a version if we don't test it?
- New clients library is written in Java and won't be affected. It also has received a lot of work and it's much improved since the last release.
- It was released 4 years ago, it has been unsupported for a long time and most projects have dropped support for it (for example, we use a different version of ScalaTest for Scala 2.9)
- Scala 2.10 introduced Futures and a few useful features like String interpolation and value classes.
- Doesn't work with Java 8 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2203).
Vote thread: http://search-hadoop.com/m/uyzND1DIE422mz94I1