Affects Version/s: 0.7.2, 0.8.0
Fix Version/s: None
Moving this here from the dev list:
I've run into the following issue with the Kafka server. The zkclient lib seems to die silently if there is an UnknownHostException(or any IOException) while reconnecting the ZK session. I've filed a bug about this with the zkclient lib(https://github.com/sgroschupf/zkclient/issues/23). The ramifications for Kafka were the silent loss of all ephemeral nodes associated with the affected process.
It is fairly easy to reproduce this locally using the following steps:
– Configure a local kafka broker to connect to a local ZK instance using a DNS alias(e.g. add "127.0.0.1 kafka-test-dns" to your /etc/hosts)
– Start the broker, observe that ephemeral nodes have been added to ZK
– Suspend the broker process, preventing it from sending heartbeats to the ZK instance. Observe the loss of ephemeral nodes in ZK.
– Remove the DNS alias(e.g. comment out the /etc/hosts line).
– Upon resuming the broker, the UknownHostException is logged. After this point, the server cannot re-establish its ZK connection. Re-enabling the alias, for example, does not resume normal operation. The broker continues accepting requests, without participating in the ZK protocols.