Eric, I totally agree. The observation I'm making is that the `bin-package' targets don't seem to work as-is.
It used to be that you could do the following:
- Run `ant bin-package' in your hadoop-common checkout.
- Set HADOOP_COMMON_HOME to the built directory of hadoop-common.
- Run `ant bin-package' in your hadoop-hdfs checkout.
- Set HADOOP_HDFS_HOME to the built directory of hadoop-hdfs.
- Set PATH to have HADOOP_HDFS_HOME/bin and HADOOP_COMMON_HOME/bin on it.
- Run `hdfs'.
This no longer works since hdfs-config.sh is looking in HADOOP_COMMON_HOME/bin/ for hadoop-config.sh, but it's being placed in HADOOP_COMMON_HOME/libexec.
I realize this is somewhat different than the original observation in this JIRA, but the two are highly related (hdfs-config.sh looking in the wrong place for hadoop-config.sh.) Feel free to say this should be filed as a new JIRA.
As an aside, the title of this JIRA should probably be changed to something like "bin/hdfs no longer works from a source checkout."