Something needs to be done about growing number of web console plugins. Currently the UI displays a tab for each plugin. This makes the UI cluttered as more and more plugins are added. To address the tabs should be replaced with a tree structure or a drop-down menu.
Felix Meschberger has proposed the following on the dev list to implement this.
"* Plugins registered as services may have a "felix.webconsole.category" property
indicating the category. Plugins not registering this property will be placed in
the default category
- AbstractWebConsolePlugin is ammended with a getCategory() method, which may
overwritten by implementations. The default implementation in the
AbstractWebConsolePlugin class returns the default category
- A default category can be configured
- Categories are simple strings such as "OSGi" or relative paths such as
"Sling/Main". Relative paths define multi-level trees. I think in general a
single level is probably enough. Maybe we can start with just supporting a
single level (so just plain strings).
- Translation of categories is such that each segment in the path (or the
complete string if there is no sub-categories) is converted into a translation
label by prefixing with "category.". So the translation for the "OSGi" category
would be found with the translation string "category.OSGi".
- The plugin navigation is refactored to move it to the left and render it as a
tree structure (I assume we can use the JQuery treetable plugin)."