Currently Drill uses Hive version 1.2.1 libraries to perform queries on Hive. This version of library can be used for Hive1.x versions and Hive2.x versions too, but some features of Hive2.x are broken (for example using of ORC transactional tables). To fix that it will be good to update drill-hive library version to 2.1 or newer.
Tasks which should be done:
- resolving dependency conflicts;
- investigating backward compatibility of newer drill-hive library with older Hive versions (1.x);
- updating drill-hive version for MapR profile too.
Starting from this commit:
- Drill Hive client is updated to 2.3.2 and 2.1.1-mapr-1710 versions for default and MapR profiles respectively;
- Drill supports of querying Hive transactional ORC bucketed tables https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+Transactions.
Note: Updated Drill Hive client preserves backward compatibility with older 1.2.1 Hive server/metastore version.