Directory Studio
  1. Directory Studio
  2. DIRSTUDIO-395

Problems with special chars (german Umlauts)

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Blocker Blocker
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 1.2.0
    • Fix Version/s: 1.4.0
    • Component/s: studio-ldapbrowser
    • Labels:
      None

      Description

      Reported by Christian Fiebig on the user mailing list, needs to be investigated:

      Hi!

      I'm testing ApacheDS 1.5.3 under Win2k3 at the moment (but also tried this under XP and Vista 32bit). I also tried the Eclipse plugin and the standalone version of Apache Studio.

      My problem: some entries (sn, givenName and cn) contain special chars like "ü", "ö".

      For example:
      I add an inetOrgPerson entry with the name "Wolfgang Kölbel" in Apache Studio:

      dn:: Y249V29sZmd[...]jPWNvbQ==
      changetype: add
      objectClass: inetOrgPerson
      objectClass: organizationalPerson
      objectClass: person
      objectClass: top
      sn:: S8O2bGJlbA==
      cn:: V29sZmdhbmcgS8O2bGJlbA==

      This works fine so far. The name is displayed correctly in Apache Studio and on other clients.

      BUT if i want to update oder modifiy this entry, i.e. add initials:

      Error while creating value
      [LDAP: error code 54 - failed to modify entry cn=Wolfgang K\C3\B6lbel,ou=personen,dc=example,dc=com: Invalid value : Wolfgang Kö�l]
      [LDAP: error code 54 - failed to modify entry cn=Wolfgang K\C3\B6lbel,ou=personen,dc=example,dc=com: Invalid value : Wolfgang Kö�l]

      The really strange thing about this is, that other entries work! If the guy's name is "Hans Müller" it works without any problems. It SEEMS that the problem occurs when a "b" comes after or near to the special char - but I'm really not sure on that...

      The second problem is (and I think it's related to the first one):
      If I export my entries (containing the special chars) they look like this (except the xxxxx - of course...):

      dn: cn=Wolfgang K\C3\B6lbel,ou=personen,dc=xxxxxxxxxxxxx,dc=de
      objectClass: organizationalPerson
      objectClass: person
      objectClass: inetOrgPerson
      objectClass: top
      cn:: V29sZmdhbmcgS8O2bGJlbA==
      employeeNumber: xxxxxxxx
      givenName: Wolfgang
      mail: xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      mobile: +49xxxxxxxxxxxx
      sn:: S8O2bGJlbA==

      When I'm importing this back the special chars are not displayed correctly anymore - "Kölbel" is now displayed as "K\C3\B6lbel" (like in the file) - only the base64 encoded values are still ok.

      So it seems that there is a problem with the encoding!? Is it expected that the exported files are ANSI and not UTF-8 encoded? But if so - why it the DN not encoded like the other attributes?

      Any ideas?

      Christian

        Activity

        Hide
        Norval Hope added a comment -

        This sounds to me like it may be related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1247 , so just wanted to make sure you knew about it.

        Show
        Norval Hope added a comment - This sounds to me like it may be related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1247 , so just wanted to make sure you knew about it.
        Hide
        Stefan Seelmann added a comment -

        The second issue is fixed:
        http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=697602&view=rev

        The first one is a Server issue.

        Show
        Stefan Seelmann added a comment - The second issue is fixed: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=697602&view=rev The first one is a Server issue.
        Hide
        Emmanuel Lecharny added a comment -

        I have tested the following steps uisng Studio 1.2.0 and ADS trunk :

        • adding the entry
        • modifying the entry adding an 'initials' attribute

        So far, all is ok. I guess the problem has been fixed since 1.5.3

        Show
        Emmanuel Lecharny added a comment - I have tested the following steps uisng Studio 1.2.0 and ADS trunk : adding the entry modifying the entry adding an 'initials' attribute So far, all is ok. I guess the problem has been fixed since 1.5.3
        Hide
        Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot added a comment -

        Postponed for next version.

        Show
        Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot added a comment - Postponed for next version.
        Hide
        Stefan Seelmann added a comment -

        This is fixed

        Show
        Stefan Seelmann added a comment - This is fixed
        Hide
        Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot added a comment -

        Apache Directory Studio version 1.4.0 has been released.

        Show
        Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot added a comment - Apache Directory Studio version 1.4.0 has been released.

          People

          • Assignee:
            Stefan Seelmann
            Reporter:
            Stefan Seelmann
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Development