Thanks, Rick. I decided to move them to ParameterMappingTest instead; only half the new tests concern updatable result sets, after all.
Uploading patch derby-5533 with the tests and a fix which changes the class LossOfPrecisionConversionException to OutsideRangeForDataTypeException, wrapping 22003 and updates the usage sites, all of which are covered by the tests I believe. I also removed the old error 22015.S.1, which was only used by the client.
Note: whereas the old error message indicated the value that was out of range for the conversion, the 22003 erro rmessage shows the target type XXX for setXXX. However, for getXXX, the type given in the error message by the embedded driver not the target Java type (e.g. short in getShort), but the correspondig SQL type, i,e.. SMALLINT. I think this is the way it is because on the server, the same conversion methods are also used in CAST, where the target type is an SQL type, not a Java type. I chose to let the client use the same type strings as embedded does. If we want to improve on this later, we can do that for both drivers.
Running regressions, please review.