I was testing the CXF 2.1 client with SOAP 1.2. I got an RPC-literal endpoint from the White Mesa server and had problems consuming it with the CXF client. (I had no problems using soapUI.)
Once the chunking issue was resolved, I got further but got a SOAP fault saying that the operation was not recognized. The White Mesa WSDL specifies a namespace attribute in the SOAP body element in the BINDING that differs from the abstract messages and operations namespace. CXF does not seem to be able to handle this. I worked around this by making the namespaces the same in the abstract messages and the binding.