The main motive behind this request is to address this scenario:
- You have a project that has platform repos at version 3.0
- We release cordova-cli v3.1, 3.2
- When we release 3.2, we also made a backwards-incompatible change in Android, bumping the MAJOR semver component of cordova-android to 4.0
- We then update the core plugins to require cordova-android 4.0, and bump the major version of the plugins
In this case, it should be possible for `plugman` to answer:
1. What is the latest version of a plugin?
2. What is the latest version of a plugin that is compatible with my environment?
Maybe `plugman search` is not the command for this though? Maybe we need a `plugman info`?
I think it's fine to have feed the environment info into plugman, at least when run through CLI. CLI knows all the info and can pass it along. In the case of custom <engine> checks though, there's not much we can do.
I'm also thinking that this doesn't have to be a pre-req to launching. What should be a re-req, is just a plan, e.g. so that the versions are put in the couch db for when we need them later.