If in Safari the Simulator/iPhone is set to automatically show web inspector when the cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine is in use the app will crash on startup.
Safari: 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.10)
OS X: 10.12 (16A323)
Xcode: 8.0 (8A218a)
Cordova WebKit Engine: 1.1.0
1. Create a new test app and add the cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine plugin to it.
2. Open the iOS project in Xcode.
3. Run the Simulator.
If it didn't crash:
4. In Safari go to Develop->Simulator->Automatically Show Web Inspector for JSContexts and ensure it's checked.
5. Restart the app in Xcode. It should crash.
The output in Xcode will be something like:
testApp(3824,0x1ae6eec40) malloc: *** error for object 0x1700a7e60: pointer being freed was not allocated
- set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
I spent most of the day trying to repro this consistently because I was seeing the crash on my iPhone but not in the Simulator. Once I realized it was this setting I'm able to reproduce it consistently on both.
Also if you remove the CordovaWebViewEngine preference that is set to CDVWKWebViewEngine the app will not crash.