Running all the smokes with mvn verify is painful:
1) Diving into the XML files when stuff breaks
2) Remembering to use TRACE level logging
3) Leaving out export PIG_HOME , etc... leads to smokes failing late in the test run.
4) Hopefully we can specify more env variables to control size of smokes in the future. That will make a script for running the whole thing even more useful.
5) when hacking the groovy scripts:: To Compile or not to compile? Always forget to specify.
A simple bash script could serve as a better tutorial/solution/template for users that want to run smokes. I'm attaching a very raw patch that we can rewrite in python and flesh out some more to do better error reporting, more verification, etc.