With introduction of V2 APIs in 0.8 release, Atlas core type-system implementation moved to use AtlasTypeRegistry (which uses data-structures introduced in V2 APIs). However, earlier version equivalent, TypeSystem (which uses V1 data-structures), is still being referenced in few places, like:
- V1 REST APIs, to covert between V1 and V2 data-structures
- notification processing, which uses V1 data-structures
- DSL query implementation
- AtlasClient API
- unit tests
Having to support legacy TypeSystem causes run time overhead in duplicate caching of type-information - in AtlasTypeRegistry and TypeSystem. Removing TypeSystem implementation will help eliminate this overhead and also improve maintainability of Atlas sources.
This JIRA is to track removal of TypeSystem implementation and its references; where necessary, references should be updated to use AtlasTypeRegistry equivalent.
- it is very critical to continue to support V1 REST APIs and processing of current V1 notifications
- existing unit tests that use V1 data-structures will be removed and will be replaced with equivalents that use V2 data-structures
- AtlasClient in new release will only support V2 data-structures; however, older version AtlasClient will continue to work with new version of Atlas server