Currently, there are too many Accumulo scripts and config files in 'bin' and 'conf' respectively. It is confusing to know which scripts or configuration file should be used. Some scripts are just used by other scripts. Some configuration file are only needed in rare situations. Scripts also lack usage/help docs.
Below is general plan to fix this:
- Reduce the number of scripts in 'bin' directory
- Move implementation/uncommon scripts to 'scripts' directory
- Scripts in `bin` should be simple wrapper scripts that either call Java or implementation script in `scripts' directory
- Scripts in 'bin' should have good help/usage information.
- Only generate one set of example configuration in 'conf/examples'. User can use bootstrap-config to generate config for different environments.
- Change bootstrap-config to only generate minimal config necessary.
- For uncommon configuration files (like logging), fall back to example file in 'conf/examples' if file not present in 'conf'