Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: 2.2.0
Fix Version/s: None
This is an umbrella JIRA for work needed to allow moving YARN applications from one queue to another. The work will consist of additions in the command line options, additions in the client RM protocol, and changes in the schedulers to support this.
I have a picture of how this should function in the Fair Scheduler, but I'm not familiar enough with the Capacity Scheduler for the same there. Ultimately, the decision to whether an application can be moved should go down to the scheduler - some schedulers may wish not to support this at all. However, schedulers that do support it should share some common semantics around ACLs and what happens to running containers.
Here is how I see the general semantics working out:
- A move request is issued by the client. After it gets past ACLs, the scheduler checks whether executing the move will violate any constraints. For the Fair Scheduler, these would be queue maxRunningApps and queue maxResources constraints
- All running containers are transferred from the old queue to the new queue
- All outstanding requests are transferred from the old queue to the new queue
Here is I see the ACLs of this working out:
- To move an app from a queue a user must have modify access on the app or administer access on the queue
- To move an app to a queue a user must have submit access on the queue or administer access on the queue