Uploaded image for project: 'XalanJ2'
  1. XalanJ2
  2. XALANJ-2493

BasisLibrary.nodeList2Iterator broken


    • Type: Bug
    • Status: Resolved
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 2.7.1
    • Component/s: XSLTC
    • Security Level: No security risk; visible to anyone (Ordinary problems in Xalan projects. Anybody can view the issue.)
    • Labels:
    • Xalan info:


      The current implementation of nodeList2Iterator is broken, because it can not deal with attribute nodes. It relies on copyNodes which in turn tries to add attribute nodes as children of some top level node. Attributes don't live on the children axis, though, so this is against DOM and causes a DOM exception in the Xerces DOM implementation and probably most other implementations. The resulting HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR was noted e.g. in XALANJ-2424.

      Furthermore, the implementation is inefficient, because it manually copies each and every node from the source document to a new DTM to some new DTM. The time overhead for the copying as well as the memory overhead for the additional DOM can be avoided in cases where the nodes come from some input document, as opposed to a document completely loaded within some extension function.

      A comment in the related XALANJ-2425 suggests returning DTMIterator from extension functions and avoiding the re-import for those. I don't like this idea because it exposes a lot of Xalans internals to extension functions, and because the returned node list might be newly created, while at least some of thenodes might still be from the same document. So instead of special cases for the list type, I implemented special cases for every node of the list. If it is a proxy node of the same (Multi)DOM, we simply use its handle.

      If not, we add it to some w3c DOM and turn that into a DTM, pretty much like the current implementation does. However, I dropped copyNodes in favor of Document.importNode, to avoid code duplication and rely on supposedly more heavily tested code. I also added another level of elements, so that there is one such dummy node for every item of the source list, with always a single child or element. A few assertions help ensure this single child policy. This is especially important in the new implementation, because otherwise it would become difficult to get the proxied nodes and the newly DTMified nodes into correct order.

      Right now, the import of DOM nodes is only implemented for those nodes I expect to turn up in the DTM in pretty much the same form as they do in the w3c DOM. For all other nodes, an internal error is thrown. This especially concerns document fragment nodes. At least in w3c DOM, a document fragment can never be a child, so if DTM behaves the same, we would need to import document fragments seperately, or expand them to the list of their children instead. I'm not sure what correct behaviour would be here, so I'd rather throw an exception than implement wrong behaviour.

      I also noticed that org.apache.xml.dtm.ref.DTMManagerDefault.getDTMHandleFromNode would in theory provide an implementation for turning w3c nodes into DTM handles - exactly what we need here. That method seems to start importing from the topmost ancestor of a node, giving as much context as possible, in contrast to both current and my suggested XSLTC approach, which destroys ancestor references. That method also seems to employ caches in order to avoid importing a document repeatedly. Sadly, actually using that method throws a ClassCastException as it expects a DTM generate from a DOM source to be a DOM2DTM, which SAXImpl is not. A comment inside that method also indicates that future implementations might drop auto-importing and instead leave it to the caller to import a DOM if it hasn't been imported before.

      I left my own attempt at an nodeList2Iterator implementation using getDTMHandleFromNode in place, renamed to nodeList2IteratorUsingHandleFromNode and made private. So it's there, it even gets compiled, but it won't get used. If that method gets fixed in XSLTCDTMManager or its ancestor, then this method might be used instead, giving a much simpler and cleaner implementation. If some of my code would be useful for such an implementation as well, like the check for "is same DOM", feel free to copy or move my code to those classes as well.


        1. XALANJ-2493_2.patch
          16 kB
          Martin von Gagern
        2. XALANJ-2493_1.patch
          15 kB
          Martin von Gagern
        3. XALANJ_2493_Test1.java
          5 kB
          Martin von Gagern

          Issue Links



              • Assignee:
                gagern Martin von Gagern
                Henry Zongaro
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                2 Start watching this issue


                • Created: