My copy of the inspector is completely broken. It's a shame that this useful tool is not really supported anymore. It gives people a sense of confidence when they can navigate their wicket session and see all the components with the inspector.
To bring the inspector back, we could do the following things:
1. fix the inspector
- it needs to factor out the stack trace metadata so sizes of things are more accurate
- my inspector causes every page viewed after using it to fail with a page expired exception
2. add a security setting setInspectorEnabled() which defaults to false (disabled) and unless
the inspector is explicitly enabled, the constructor of every publicly accessible bookmarkable
page in the inspector package throws an IllegalStateException() with an explanation of what
you must do to safely use the inspector in your application (add security to the pages via
wicket-auth-roles or some other means and call setInspectorEnabled(true)).
then we can all enjoy the return of the inspector!
- Time Spent:
- made new submodule, wicket-devutils
- moved statelesschecker (et al) as well as inspector bug and all related classes to devutils
- added debug setting for enabling or disabling the inspector functionality
- created a debug bar that can have components added to it dynamically