pasted from the list:
I ran into an odd problem this week. A model fed to a ListView was
calling service methods the current user wasn't allowed to use, and I
was wondering how that could happen. A panel far above this ListView in
the hierarchy had been secured (using Shiro annotations, but that turns
out to not matter at all) and was not supposed to be rendered for this
user. From this I had expected the ListView not to be rendered either,
but here it was trying to assemble itself in onBeforeRender and thus
calling the "forbidden" service methods.
I investigated Component and friends for a bit, and have found a
internalBeforeRender() checks determineVisibility() before doing
anything. So far so good. determineVisibility() then checks
isRenderAllowed() so the application's IAuthorizationStrategy can block
certain components. This is where it goes wrong though:
isRenderAllowed() only looks at FLAG_IS_RENDER_ALLOWED for performance
reasons, and that flag hasn't been set yet! internalPrepareForRender()
only calls setRenderAllowed() after beforeRender().
Due to this, the supposedly secure panel was going through its own
beforeRender and thus calling that ListView's beforeRender.
I think this can be a serious problem, such as in my case described
above. I'd expect that if isActionAuthorized(RENDER) is false, the
secured component should basically never get to the beforeRender phase.
My questions are now:
- Is this intentional? If yes, please explain the reasoning behind it,
because it isn't obvious to me.
- If not, can we fix it? My intuitive suggestion would be to simply
move the call to setRenderAllowed() from the end of
internalBeforeRender() (prepareForRender in 1.4) to the beginning of
that method, so beforeRender() can reliably look at that flag.
- If we can fix it, when and where do we fix it? This hit me in 1.4,
and looking at the code it's still there in 1.5. I'd really like it
fixed in the last 1.4 release, and certainly in 1.5, given that this
has the potential to impact security.
It's not an API break, but I'm not sure whether the implications for
application behavior are tolerable for all existing applications. On
the other hand, it seems to be a real security problem, so maybe the
change is justified. I'd like some core dev opinions please
If this is in fact a bug, I'm of course willing to provide a ticket and
|Field||Original Value||New Value|
|Fix Version/s||1.5.4 [ 12319051 ]|
|Fix Version/s||6.0.0 [ 12315431 ]|
|Affects Version/s||1.5.3 [ 12318550 ]|
|Status||Open [ 1 ]||Resolved [ 5 ]|
|Resolution||Fixed [ 1 ]|
|Transition||Time In Source Status||Execution Times||Last Executer||Last Execution Date|
|13m 11s||1||Igor Vaynberg||23/Nov/11 06:46|