Our build produces a vm template that we upload to the repository. Recently this grew to be just over 2GB and the build started failing to deploy. We were using vesrion 1.0-beta-7 of wagon-http-lightweight. I created a small isolated project to exhibit the behavior and tried changing the versions around. We tried upgrading to wagon-http 2.2 but this failed because that version is broken. There's an incompatibility between the two jars wagon-http-shared4 and wagon-provider-api both of version 2.2. I'm going to log a separate bug for that version. Then we tried 2.0 and that got further.
The error from wagon-http version-1.0-beta-7 is: "Write failed: Broken pipe"
The error from wagon-http version 2.0 is: "The target server failed to respond"
My isolated project was created like this. I have three resource files, testfile1 and testfile2 are just over 1GB each. testfile3 is 900MB. To show the problem, I have the pom.xml file exclude testfile3, and the resulting jar file that's built is about 2.1GB. To ensure that everything works correctly right before the 2GB limit, I then change the pom.xml file to exclude testfile2, and the resultant jar file is 1.9GB. The 1.9GB file deploys correctly but the 2.1GB file does not.
To create these files, I used the linux command "dd if=/dev/urandom of=testfile1 bs=1095761920 count=1". That long number for "bs" is 1024*1024*1045. To create the smaller 900MB file I used 1024*1024*900.
Full stack traces are attached.