VXQuery utilizes Algebricks and Hyracks to build a XQuery processor that execute on a cluster. Reviewing the list of query languages build upon the same base, there is a common need for date/time/duration manipulation. XQuery provides a great basis for other languages, like AsterixQL, wrt its date/time/duration manipulation features.
Building a common library of this functionality for XQuery, AsterixQL, and other languages on the Hyracks/Algebricks stack would allow for a simplified code base.
In addition to only having to implement these features in one place, the new library could fill in the holes in VXQuery's implementation and provide missing date/time/duration features for AsterixQL.
Key Features for Library:
- Written in Java
- Optimized to work with out objects (use byte arrays)
- Standardized date/time/duration API
- Useful to other Hyracks applications
Review of tasks:
- Consolidate date/time/duration code into one library
- Update XQuery to use the library
- Validate all XQuery date/time/duration functions through the test harness
- Create a patch for AsterixQL for to utilize the new library
- Additional non-XQuery date/time/duration features