1) eliminate need for any individual project checkout to depend on another project being checked out simultaneously. This includes:
- switching to docbkx maven plugin instead of our own docbook tooling (see other subtask)
- using maven-remote-resources plugin for including common, shared things, rather than referring to other projects (see other subtask)
- use POM dependencies from the repositories
2) make POMs inherit from Apache master POM.
3) separate parent poms from aggregation poms.
4) make POMs inherit from Apache common POM
5) make parent poms separately releasable, using the apache/maven convention for version numbering (single digit).
6) position aggregator poms in the conventional position (not flat structure) to enable some plugins (assembly and release) to function better.